Product videos have become an essential part of any successful e-commerce or marketing strategy. They allow potential customers to see and interact with a product in a way that simply reading a description or looking at images cannot match.
A well-made product video can help to increase customer engagement, boost sales, and build trust in a brand.
In this blog post, we will be discussing 11 tips for creating great product videos. We will cover everything from how to clearly communicate the product’s unique value proposition, to using professional-quality video and audio, to incorporating customer testimonials into the video.
By the end of this post, you will have the knowledge and tools you need to create product videos that are engaging, informative, and effective at driving conversions.
Tip 1: Clearly Communicate the Product’s Unique Value Proposition
A unique value proposition (UVP) is a statement that clearly communicates the unique benefits and features of a product. It is a crucial element of any marketing strategy and should be the foundation of any product video.
Your UVP should be clear, concise, and easy to understand, and should differentiate your product from competitors.
To effectively communicate your UVP in a product video, it should be included in the opening of the video. This will ensure that viewers understand the unique benefits of your product right from the start.
Additionally, your UVP should be reinforced throughout the video, by highlighting the key features and benefits of the product.
Here are a few examples of how to incorporate your UVP into a product video:
- Use a voiceover to clearly state the UVP at the beginning of the video.
- Use text or graphics to display the UVP on the screen.
- Use customer testimonials to reinforce the UVP.
- Show the product in use, highlighting how it solves a problem or fulfils a need.
It’s important to make sure your UVP is clear and easily understood by the target audience. It’s also important to make sure your UVP is truly unique, if it is not it will be difficult for the video to stand out.
By clearly communicating your UVP in a product video, you will not only attract the right customers but also increase the chances of converting them into paying customers.
Tip 2: Show the Product in Use
Showing a product in use is one of the most effective ways to demonstrate its value to potential customers. Seeing the product in action can help viewers to understand how it works, and how it can solve a problem or fulfil a need.
It also allows them to envision themselves using the product, making it more relatable and increasing the likelihood of a purchase.
There are several ways to effectively demonstrate a product’s use in a video:
- Use a hands-on demonstration: Show the product in use by someone interacting with it. This can be done with a product demonstrator, a customer, or even an animation.
- Use before-and-after footage: Show the problem or need that the product solves, then demonstrate how the product addresses that issue.
- Use customer testimonials: Show real customers using the product and sharing their experience.
- Use a tutorial or step-by-step guide: Show how easy it is to use the product by walking viewers through the process.
It’s important to note that showing the product in use does not mean only showing the positive side of the product, but also showing how to use it and how to troubleshoot if any problems occur.
When planning to show the product in use, it’s important to think about the target audience and what they would be interested in seeing.
Tip 3: Highlight the Product’s Key Features and Benefits
Highlighting the key features and benefits of a product is an essential part of any product video. It enables viewers to comprehend what the product performs and how it can satisfy a need or address a problem. It also helps to differentiate your product from competitors.
To effectively communicate the key features and benefits in a product video, it’s important to present them in a clear, concise, and easily understandable way. Here are a few examples of how to do that:
- Use text or graphics to display the features and benefits on the screen.
- Use a voiceover to clearly state the features and benefits.
- Use customer testimonials to reinforce the features and benefits.
- Use animation to visually demonstrate the features and benefits.
- Compare the product’s features and benefits to those of competitors.
When highlighting the key features and benefits, focus on the most important and unique ones. Avoid overwhelming the viewer with too much information, and keep the video concise and focused.
Tip 4: Use Professional-Quality Video and Audio
To create professional-quality product videos, it is important to use high-resolution video and audio equipment. This includes a camera with a high resolution, a tripod for stability, and a microphone for clear audio.
Here are a few tips to follow in order to produce good product videos:
- Use a tripod: A tripod will aid in maintaining camera stability and preventing blurry video. This will help ensure that your video is smooth and professional-looking.
- Use proper lighting: Good lighting is essential for capturing great video. Make sure the product is well-lit and consider using additional lighting equipment to enhance the overall look of the video.
- Use a professional-quality microphone: Audio is just as important as video, so make sure to use a good microphone. A lavalier microphone or a shotgun microphone would be good options for product videos.
- Edit the video professionally: Proper editing can make a huge difference in the overall quality of your video. Consider using professional editing software like Adobe Premiere or Final Cut Pro to edit your footage.
- Consider hiring a professional: If you don’t have the necessary skills or equipment to create a professional-quality product video, consider hiring a professional videographer or video production company to do the job for you.
Tip 5: To keep the video short and to the point
To create a great product video that is short and to the point, you should focus on the key features and benefits of the product, and present them in a clear and concise manner.
Here are some ways to create to the point videos:
- Use visuals and demonstrations: Supplement your message with images and keep the video engaging. Avoid using too much text or unnecessary information, and aim to keep the video under two minutes in length.
- Use high quality images: Make sure to use high-quality footage and professional editing to give the video a polished and professional look.
- Keep the video under 2 minutes in length: Viewers tend to lose interest after 2 minutes, so it is best to keep the video short and to the point.
- Use a script or a storyboard to plan out the video before filming: This will help you stay on track and avoid deviating from the main message.
- Use professional editing to keep the video polished and engaging: This will help you avoid adding unnecessary footage and make sure that the pacing of the video is just right.
Tip 6: Use a Script
Using a script for a product video is important because it helps to ensure that the video stays on-topic and covers all the necessary information. A script also allows you to plan the structure of the video, and determine the most effective way to present the information.
Here are a few tips for creating an effective script for a product video:
- Identify the main message of the video, this should be the foundation of your script.
- Use clear and concise language, and avoid using jargon or technical terms that may be difficult for the viewer to understand.
- Organise the information in a logical order, starting with the most important information and progressing to the least important.
- Include a call-to-action in the script, this can be a link to purchase the product or a phone number to call for more information.
- Keep the script short and to the point, and avoid including unnecessary details.
- If you are planning to have a voiceover, make sure the script is written in a way that can be easily spoken.
It’s important to note that the script should be flexible and allow room for improvisation or changes during the shooting process.
Tip 7: Use Compelling Visuals
Compelling visuals are an essential part of any product video. They can help to grab the viewer’s attention, convey information, and create an emotional connection with the viewer.
Using high-quality images, animations, and footage can make a product video more engaging and memorable, increasing the chances of conversion.
Here are a few tips for creating visually appealing product videos:
- Use colour and lighting effectively: Use colours and lighting to create a certain mood or atmosphere, this can help to create an emotional connection with the viewer.
- Use animation to visually demonstrate the product’s features and benefits: Animation can be a powerful tool for conveying information and demonstrating the product in use.
- Use imagery to tell a story: Use imagery to tell a story that relates to the product and resonates with the viewer.
- Use footage of real customers using the product: Showing real customers using the product can help to create a sense of authenticity and relatability.
It’s important to note that visuals should be used in conjunction with other elements such as the script, voiceover, and music to create an overall cohesive and effective product video.
By following the tips above, you can create a visually appealing product video that is more engaging and memorable, increasing the chances of conversion.
Tip 8: Use Professional Voiceover
A professional voiceover can add credibility and authority to a product video, making it more engaging and effective at driving conversions.
A good voiceover can make the information in the video more accessible and easier to understand, as well as add a touch of personality and emotion to the video.
Here are a few tips for selecting the right voiceover talent for a product video:
- Choose a voice that matches the target audience: The voiceover should be relatable to the target audience, so it’s important to choose a voice that matches their demographics, such as age and gender.
- Choose a voice that matches the tone of the video: The voiceover should match the tone of the video, whether it’s serious, humorous, or casual.
- Choose a voice that is easy to understand: The voiceover should be clear and easy to understand, and avoid using accents that may be difficult for some viewers to understand.
- Choose a voice that has experience: It’s always a good idea to choose a voiceover talent that has experience in your field, they will know how to best convey your message.
- Listen to samples: Before hiring a voiceover talent, listen to samples of their work to make sure they are a good fit for your project.
By following the tips above, you can select a voiceover talent that matches the target audience and tone of the video, making it more engaging and effective at driving conversions.
Tip 9: Use Testimonials and Customer Reviews
Using testimonials and customer reviews in a product video can be a powerful way to build trust and credibility with potential customers.
Hearing from real customers about their experiences with the product can help to establish social proof and provide potential customers with a sense of reassurance that the product is of high quality and meets its promises.
Here are a few tips for incorporating testimonials and customer reviews into a product video:
- Use real customers: Use real customers to provide testimonials and reviews, this will add authenticity to the video.
- Use video testimonials: Video testimonials can be more powerful than written testimonials, as they allow the viewer to see the customer and hear them speak.
- Use a variety of testimonials: Use a variety of testimonials to show the product’s different benefits and features.
- Use quotes and pull out key points from the testimonials: Use quotes from the testimonials and pull out key points that align with your product’s key features and benefits.
- Use review snippets with stars and scores: Use review snippets with stars and scores to highlight the product’s overall rating and positive feedback.
It’s important to note that using testimonials and customer reviews in a product video can be very effective but it’s also important to be transparent and only use genuine reviews and testimonials.
In a nutshell, using testimonials and customer reviews in a product video can be a powerful way to build trust and credibility with potential customers.
By following the tips above, you can incorporate testimonials and customer reviews into the video in a way that is authentic and effective at driving conversions.
Tip 10: Use Music and Sound Effects
Music and sound effects can greatly enhance the overall impact of a product video. The right music can set the tone of the video and create an emotional connection with the viewer, while sound effects can help to bring the video to life and make it more engaging.
Here are a few tips for using music and sound effects in a product video:
- Choose music that matches the tone of the video: The music should match the tone of the video, whether it’s serious, humorous, or casual.
- Use sound effects to enhance the visuals: Use sound effects to enhance the visuals and make the video more engaging.
- Use royalty-free music: Use royalty-free music to avoid copyright issues.
- Keep the volume of the music and sound effects balanced: Keep the volume of the music and sound effects balanced with the voiceover and dialogue.
Tip 11: Optimise for Mobile
With the increasing number of people watching videos on their mobile devices, it’s important to optimise product videos for mobile viewing. This means ensuring that the video is formatted for smaller screens and that it can be easily viewed on a variety of devices.
Here are a few tips for optimising product videos for mobile:
- Use vertical video format: Use vertical video format to ensure that the video is properly formatted for mobile screens.
- Use subtitles: Use subtitles to ensure that the video can be easily understood when viewed on a small screen.
- Keep the video short and to the point: Keep the video short and to the point to ensure that it can be easily viewed on a mobile device.
- Test the video on multiple devices: Test the video on multiple devices to ensure that it can be easily viewed on a variety of devices.
In this blog post, we’ve discussed 11 tips for creating great product videos. These tips include: clearly communicating the product’s unique value proposition, showing the product in use, highlighting the product’s key features and benefits, keeping the video short and to the point, using a script, using compelling visuals, using professional voiceover, using testimonials and customer reviews, using music and sound effects, and optimising for mobile.
It’s important to keep in mind that creating a great product video requires a combination of all these tips, and it’s important to be creative and tailor the video to your target audience.